Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Chipmunks Chipwrecked - Munk Up and Take The Kids!



Rated:  G
Starring:  Justin Long, Matthew Gray Gubler and Jesse McCartney
Runtime:  87 minutes

The story was simple.  Dave takes the boys and the Chipettes on a luxury cruise for a family vacation.  Alvin acts up as he always does, inciting the famous "ALVIN!" cry from Dave.  Eventually, there are dire consequences when Alvin is swept overboard with Simon, Theodore and the Chipettes.  The bunch land on a deserted island and Dave eventually follows with the bad guy agent from the previous movie. 

This movie was one that I went to for my kids and not one I would have seen in the theater without them.  (I took my four-year-old and eleven-year-old)

However, having said that, I found myself giggling right along with the kids and giggling at the other kids in the theater when they gasped or giggled. 

The music was fun, but it was just the tiniest bit suggestive with the outfits and dance moves that the Chipettes showed off.  And only one other thing to caution parents about was it became a little bit scary near the end.  I heard a kid behind us say that he was scared and my four-year-old also said that a scene or two was scary - possibly prompted to say this after she heard the child a few rows behind us.  Parents with younger children might want to keep this in mind.

Even with the tension near the end, both of my daughters said they really enjoyed the movie and I will say that I didn't hate it either.  The scary parts really were just tense moments and the suggestive outfits/dance routines aren't even as bad as you can find in most commercials.

So, even if you don't feel like watching The Chipmunks, "Munk up," the kids will probably enjoy it and you might, too.

Reviewed by JC Phelps

No comments:

Post a Comment