Friday, October 2, 2015

Flixy Mom is back with Hotel Transylvania 2


Flixy Mom is back after a loooong hiatus. I apologize but I must blame the high cost of movie-going, my move to the country where the nearest theater is more than 20 miles away, and plain laziness. I'd rather stay home and watch streaming on my TV than venture out from my safe country abode to tell you the truth. However, I do miss the giant theater screen, the surround sound and the big, comfy seats. Oh, and the theater recliners that are all the rage now? Love them.

I enjoy a good kids flick, so I'm glad to be back at the movies. My daughter begged me to see Hotel Transylvania 2 (Rated PG) since we love the first one, so I wholeheartedly agreed to travel the 20-plus miles and fork out $10 for admission (matinee) to get us in the mood for Halloween, my girl's favorite part about fall.

I'm afraid I don't have good news regarding this movie. I really wanted to like it since the first one was so enjoyable for us. Adam Sandler has co-written this sequel, and honestly the jokes were flat and not funny at all. One might call them forced, predictable and boring. Totally dissing a movie is not my style because I love movies so much, and, again, I really wanted to like this one.

Basic plot: Mavis (Selena Gomez) and Johnny (Adam Samberg), our zinging love birds from the first flick, have shacked up at Hotel Transylvania and popped out a kid. The big story question is whether or not little Dennis will be half vampire/half human or just plain human. He hasn't gotten his fangs yet and Dracula (Adam Sandler) is convinced that he's a late bloomer. There's some cringe-worthy scenes in which Drac tries to scare the fangs out of his grandson that had me shaking my head at Drac's sheer stupidity, but I won't mention them here.

As always, I'm reluctant to hash out the whole plot here so I won't be accused of spoiling it, so I'll just leave it at that.

What I love about the movie was the grand cast. Mel Brooks as Vlad, Drac's father, Dana Carvey as a camp director at the lamest vampire camp there ever was, Megan Mullally, who's brilliant as Johnny's human mother, Selena Gomez who is just adorable as Mavis, and the usual cast of monsters: Kevin James as Frank/Frankenstein, David Spade as the Invisible Man and Steve Buscemi as Wayne the werewolf.

My opinion aside, my 9 year-old girl said she really liked it, and on the way home from the theater, campaigned to purchase the DVD when it came out so we could have both movies. Not sure which way I'm going to go on that one.

If you need a monster movie to get your family in the Halloween mood, then by all means, go see Hotel Transylvania 2. You might enjoy it better than I did.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment